Monday, February 1, 2016

February 1, 2016

Hello Family!! I hope you're all having a super awesome day! :) During studies I turned the Calendar to the February page and I just starred at the pictures for like 10 mins! HA. You are all so cute and amazing!! I LOVE YOU ALL LIKE CRAZY! And I seriously can't believe I'll be able to see/talk to you in like 3 weeks... WHAT? But don't worry, I'm totally not trunky! This area is keeping us busy! :) 

BLESSINGS: Richmond Hill is booming!! This week we saw so many miracles and my testimony was strengthened so much of how God is preparing people EVERYWHERE to learn and accept the Gospel! There are no bad areas in any mission! :) We were so blessed to find so many new investigators and to see a lot of them keeping commitments and progress!! This area reached Standards for the first time in a while!! Such a blessing!! 

MIRACLE 1: We have a recent convert who when we got to the area was a "do not contact" but we accidentally found that out after we texted her. Ha. Blessing in disguise! When we texted her we told her that a missionary that I came out with was so excited when she found out I was coming to this area because of her! Well the recent convert was way excited that I knew one of her missionaries so she allowed us to come! When we started the lesson there was a lot of tension. She was pretty closed off and said she wasn't learning anything from going to church and the Book of Mormon was too hard to understand so she just gave up. We both shared experiences that we've had that has strengthened our testimonies of the Book of Mormon and the Spirit was there so strong! Well at the end of the lesson she said that she'll give it all a second change! :) She committed to read the chapter that we left her and she also allowed us to set a return appointment! 

MIRACLE 2: His name is Gordon. And he's so prepared!! We were walking towards the bus stop and running a little late when we saw a man get out of the car. Honestly, because we were running late I wasn't going to stop and talk to him but then the spirit told me I needed to. So we did! It was a fast contact. I was like, "Hey! We're your local missionaries in the area and share beautiful messages about Jesus Christ. Could we come back next week sometime?" AND HE SAID YES! BAHAHA. Cool. So we set up an appointment and taught him a few days ago! Oh man, he's totally the Joseph Smith of the day! He's so confused about all the churches and he's been going to all the different churches to find out which on is true. He loved learning about Joseph Smith because he is totally able to relate to him! So yeah, he's amazing and he came to all 3 hours of church on Sunday!! AHHH Miracle. He's from Hong Kong and our ward mission leader who is from Hong Kong totally fellowshipped him the whole time! It was a blessing because we gave talks in sacrament meeting then had to last min teach a Sunday school class so we were go grateful for members for taking care of our investigators! :) 

MIRACLE 3: Nino! We invited him to start reading from the beginning of the Book of Mormon and when we followed up at the beginning of the lesson he said he was in 1 Nephi 18!!! AHHH Yahoo! His parents are less-active members but it's been amazing because they sit in on all our lessons with Nino and we've been able to strengthen all of them! Part member family work is amazing! We brought a member in the ward who is the most perfect fellowshipper for him! They totally hit it off and I think they'll be BFF's for life. Well we invited him to be baptized and he said yes! And guess what he's working towards Feb. 20th!! The last Sunday I'm here!! We pray for him everyday that he can be prepared for that date. But he's awesome!! 

MIRACLE 4: We had an awesome Scottish Night party and we wanted to bring lots of investigators so we sent out a mass text to all our former's that were in the phone. HA. We got some rude replies but whatever! RICHARD CAME! And he totally brought a friend! So we had these to potential investigators at our ward Scottish Night party! We introduced them to lots of members and at the end of the party we gave them a chapel tour and talked about church and how it's a blessing in our lives! We had a member come with us on that chapel tour and the spirit was there! And guess what? Richard came to church the next day! So cool, right? 

MIRACLE 5: The ward is amazing and we got fed huge meals like 10 times this week! HA. No joke. Lunch and dinner 3 days in a row! And so many of them gave us leftovers! Wow - members here are so generous and amazing! And I want to be like them when I go home! We ate food from Sir Lanka, Venezuela, Portugal, Scotland, and Nigeria! So fun! Except the Nigerian rice was the most spicy thing I have ever had. I tried to be a champ but totally failed. I was saying, "No, I really do like it. It's just a little spicy." But I was totally crying and had like 3 cups of water! BAHAHA. And we tried this popular "haggis" from Scotland. And it was awful. Don't ever eat haggis. OK? 

MIRACLE 6: Church was just fabulous! I love Sundays! And we were able to give talks on missionary work! I honestly was so excited! I studying it throughout the week and focused on 3 things members can do to be missionaries (live the Gospel of Jesus Christ, bear testimony, and extend simple invitations). I had really cool stories for each of those ideas and it ended up going really well! Lots of the members were so nice and said they loved it. One lady was like, "girl, you were on fire up there." BAHAHA. That made me laugh! Sister Davis gave an awesome talk on the Atonement and how we are able to rely on Jesus Christ as we are becoming better missionaries! She nailed it! :) After sacrament meeting we were walking to our Gospel Principles class and a member said that a teacher didn't show up. We gladly volunteered to teach the 10 year old class and it was so fun!! We talked about the Godhead! We first asked all the kiddos who there favorite celebrity was. They were naming soccer players, singers, scientists and all! Ha. Then we talked about how it would be kind of hard to get a hold of them! Then we told them that God is the best athlete, he's the best musician, he's the best scientist! And we can communicate to him ALL DAY, EVERYDAY!! Then we talked about all the things that make us happy in life and explained to them that all of those things are gifts from God! He gives them to you to be happy! We then talked about prayer and how we are able to express our thanks to him for all of it! We talked about Christ and how we close in his name because it's through him that everything is possible! Then we talked about the Holy Ghost and how he can lead us and answer our questions that we have. All the kids participated the whole time and were so cute! It was way fun! 

So yes, it was an amazing week!! :) Now I'll write about a couple of creepers! HA. 

CREEPER 1: Not sure of his name. But we hand out Mormon.org cards everyday while we are on the buses. We got a text a few days ago that said, "Dayton I am very interested on you. Do you have boyfriend?" I think he might have been Asain? Anyways... We told him what our purpose was and he never replied again. Cool! 

CREEPER 2: OH MAN! We went downtown last Monday and it was so much fun!! We went to China town and this man was offering free hugs... So we just politely said, "no thinks." And he got way offended. Well he started following us and then hugged me from behind and tried to kiss my face. NO JOKE! It was kind of scary! Like, I felt like I was being attacked or something. Anyways, I'm sure it looked way funny. Both Sister Davis and I pushed him off but he was just laughing and he kept following us. At this point we hadn't met up with Elders yet so we were just alone and started getting a little nervous. But eventually he stopped, so that's good. Ha. 

RANDOM: This week I had people think I was European, Spanish and from California. Cool! That's better than people saying, "let me guess. You're from the factory?" "Ha. Yep. You got it." Did you guys know that members call Utah the factory? Ha. 

Sorry this is a little on the long side! HA. But I love you all lots! :) 

Sister Dayton

 On the streetcar with Sister Davis. 
 My favorite place!! DOWNTOWN!! 
 Fred... Best member missionary ever. To our waiter. "Have you ever heard of the phenomenal, free Book of Mormon?" HAHA
With the mandarin sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment